Another issue that Caribbean Community countries have in common…
We have a really big problem with children reading. Last week i observed a few children 6-13 yrs.
- We played scrabble
- We ask them to choose books that they liked and A-dziko read some with them.
This is what we found.
- Some children don’t like to sit and read
- They don’t think reading is important
- They constantly complain that they can’t say the words
- Spelling is difficult
- They don’t read fluently
- They don’t know many words and have difficulty calling new words
- The older ones don’t easily recognize the sound letters make. Some don’t know the alphabet
- In a game of scrabble they made two or three letter words mostly.
- The ones who couldn’t read wanted to quickly move on to another activity and it seemed they became more disruptive
- The ones who could read were constantly distracted by the ones who couldn’t.
This is a problem we have written…
View original post 161 more words